As I looked through my window this morning and watched the snow fall yet again...I turned to weather.com to see what we were in for in terms of accumulation. Considering there's still over a foot of accumulation on the ground from the last storm, compounded by piles and piles of shoveled snow...this information is important and begs the question, "why DON'T we live in Florida?" But that's a post for another time. This is about the Internet.

So I realized, as I turned to weather.com for all my wintry weather answers...what did I do BEFORE the Internet. I actually recall sitting on my couch in front of the TV waiting and watching for The Weather Channel's Local Forecast on the 8s. They only showed the weather at 4:08, 4:18, 4:28, etc...you get the pattern. And at the time, I was in South Georgia, so knowing where the tornadoes were was IMPORTANT! Anyway...now I'm thinking...great; for quite some time now, I've had The Weather Channel and the Internet to keep me informed. But there wasn't always a weather channel. It used to be...I had to wait for Dick Albert and the Channel 5 news at 6pm to tell me what the weather would be for the next day or two. You didn't get updates by the minute or on the 8s then.
What the hell people did before that...I don't even want to think about it. The Farmers Almanac? The corner psychic. So I guess there has been progress in the world. I'll remember that the next time I buy a carton of milk at the store and it's sour immediately upon opening...leaving me without breakfast this morning to crank about the weather and the way it used to be.
1 comment:
Merry Christmas! Thank you for the Christmas card. I'm a little slow this year and as a result a new tradition of mailing Ground Hog Day cards might evolve. Hope you are well and keeping warm in spite of the snow. Cheers!
Post a Comment