We've lived in our house for more than two years...some of you have been here. Others have seen pictures. It's not a huge house, but it's the space we need for now...except for the fact that we don't have room for a dining table. We've been TV tray people since we moved in, which isn't horrible...I like TV. Katharine likes TV when she's not reading while she eats (Don't ask...I don't get it either). We decided that we were tired of eating off of trays, so we enlisted the help of Bob Villa and This Old House...uhm...no...wrong story. We enlisted the help of my brother, who I'll call G and his friend, who I'll call J because that's the first letter of their names. G and J were going to help me put a breakfast bar in right here:

If you ask me...I'd tell you that the breakfast bar was my idea. Katharine will dispute this, telling you that it was her idea and I said it was a bad one. She won't tell you that she proposed it while she was in school when we had no money and it was part of a list of 20 other projects we couldn't afford at the time. Whatever...it doesn't matter how it happened becuase it pretty much was her idea, but I agreed, so that's something. What matters is what happened during the 2 days of construction.
We started on Saturday around noon...took a trip to my least favorite place in the world (Home Depot) after measuring and figuring out what we needed for supplies. The people at Home Depot are never helpful to me, and once again proved this fact when we were told that the caulking was in the caulking isle. If I knew where that was, I wouldn't have asked. But we got everything and prepared to tear into the project. I was the helper for both G and J since I didn't know what I was doing. Oh...and I was the photographer. Here's what we found when we ripped open the wall.

You can't see it here, but nothing was really holding up the upstairs room (seriously...yeah...no kidding), so we had to put in a new support. I'm not a contractor so bear with my terminology. First, we had to remove the existing lack of support...so we used a stilt, which we kept bumping into...a stilt being exactly what it sounds like...an itty bitty 2x4 jacked in to hold the upstairs in from crashing in on us (and I think I mentioned that we bumped it a few times). Putting in the new header (across the top) was a nightmare for those that had to lift it...and for J who took a shot in the head with a 2X4 after requesting that we don't drop the header onto his head. At least the header didn't hit him in the head. I don't have a picture of this...it would have looked like it was planned.
When it came time to build the vertical support, we needed the ten foot long 2x4...we only had one of those. Where did it go? G asked me if I gave him that one to cut earlier. Sure...blame the guy that doesn't know anything. That's easy, right. Turns out that G cut it earlier...when I was busy doing something else. Here's how I proved my innocence...the sticker on the cut board that I hadn't touched.

G figured out a solution and we were done supporting the house (which required brute strength and a hydraulic car jack since the house was apparently caving in. No longer) and building the basic frame. The rest went together quickly. We discovered that this inside wall we were workig on used to be an outside wall and the original wood slats were still on the old outside wall. We found an electrical outlet between the wall and the kitchen cabinet. We noticed some wallpaper from the 1930s...we left that inside the wall. We cut through tons of asbestos...no...just kidding...we didn't, but I did believe J when he told me this. What do I know? I think G dropped a pencil into the basement...that's mine now.

So, the sheetrock went up, and all the taping and mud is finished...something I actually got to help with. It needs one final sanding (which will once again coat my house in dust), and some paint to finish it off...we ordered stools from Macys which were backordered and will arrive in 3 months...and we'll actually be able to sit at a counter to eat. So thanks G and J...we appreciate all your hard work...I learned a lot!



4 comments:
It was TOTALLY my idea - and it looks FABULOUS! I cannot get over just how wonderful the whole space looks now. So open and nice, it's just amazing what can happen in a weekend!
I know that if Katharine had mentioned the idea, I would have remembered it. I don't forget things like that.
Although...
...now that you mention it, I seem to remember something...
And that tunnel into Antarctica does look vaguely familiar.
You guys seriously did this on your own without any basic house building knowledge?????????????????????
Do you have any freaking idea how impressive that is????? Kudos to all involved, seriously (same with patio project). How very resourceful of you! I agree, the counter definitely opens up the space, making both rooms cozier (they were already). and the patio looks so inviting... ahem (is that a hint? I do believe it IS a hint, lolol!!!).
Here's to your go-getter attitude, both of you!!!!
Helen
Well...to be fair, I don't personally have that home building knowledge, but the two that helped know an awful lot. I would not have attempted this without them. I'll see about getting you that invitation. :-D
Post a Comment