It's 2008...have you built yourself a profile on MySpace yet? What about Facebook? Classmates.Com? Most people look at social networking sites and immediately think Dateline: To Catch a Predator. That as soon as they click the CREATE AN ACCOUNT submit button, that Chris Hansen will walk in and start asking you questions. Seriously though...if you're not creepy, you can actually use social networking sites...well...to be...uhm...social.

There's this rumor going around that you have to be 18 (or under) to enjoy such sites, but I've reconnected with bunch of old friends...friends that I may have never spoken to or heard from again without creating a profile. Sure you have to be willing to share some personal information about yourself, but so what. I have nothing to hide. I mean...I'm not posting pictures of myself in my underwear or anything (lucky for you), but I post a bunch of stuff. And I expect people to read the stuff I post. I hate it when someone says, "Why is {insert name here} checking out my profile on Facebook"? It could be that {insert name here} is a creepy stalker OR it could just be that you are friends/acquaintances and they are actually interested in what you posted. Isn't that why you posted it? Because it was interesting...or fun?
Let's all be a bit more social...if you're checking out my personal site and you subscribe to a social networking site, why not post a link to your page in the comments here?! I might want to see what you're up to. If you don't want to post a link to your profile...maybe you want to discuss with me why all of their logos are blue.
4 comments:
LOL! Jeff, some of us are very social without those sites!! I like the personal touch....you know? Write a long email to your friend or pick up the phone and tell them what you're up to :-P
p.s. we/I also enjoy reading friends' personal sites, if they choose to have one! :)
OK, well yeah, of course I get that you don't HAVE to post on such sites to be social. Good point made though...although I hate the phone...sometimes I don't seem to have a lot to talk about when I would have plenty to say if it were in person. Doesn't make sense...it just is. So yeah, long emails are good...personal visiting and chatting is good too. And all this other crap is just extra!
The whole point of those sites is to see what your respective ex boyfriends and/or girlfriends are up to, and what they look like now! Although I'm not renewing my classmates.com subscription, i did enjoy seeing what people are doing. I can't be bothered with Myspace and Facebook - just one more thing to keep up with!
Although Katharine is usually right...ahem...the whole point of those sites TO ME, is to find people you haven't seen in a long long time and it also allows you to easily stay in touch with thos and other people because sometimes you just don't have a lot to say to friends in an email. "Yeah, work is the same...I'm still doing this and that...oh...and I just saw this great movie," only gets you so far. Everyone has their perspective of course and there's nothing wrong with that.
If I have a lot to say...a good email is probably better, but I tend to be boring day to day. I know it...and I'm OK with that!
Post a Comment