Monday, January 19, 2009

Hong Kong Boston, The Best Karaoke Crowd in Town

If you haven't already figured out by the article I just posted 3 days ago, "Jeff with a Microphone", I like to sing. I like to sing even more in front of a crowd. Because I have no original music talent and can't perform songs that I might write myself, I turn to karaoke to get my fix. My venue of choice...at least once a month since last October (and sometimes twice) I spend about 5 hours at the Hong Kong in Boston's Fanueil Hall.

What's nice about going there, is that now I'm a regular. I know the DJ, the waitresses, one of the bartenders, a couple of the bouncers, and the manager. If I'm lucky, I get to sing 5 or 6 songs per night, but it's usually more like 7 or 8 since I now know other regulars and they'll invite me to sing with them. The waitress knows to start bringing water at the end of the night (which wasn't the case last week when there was a different waitress which is likely why I had a headache the next morning). Typically when I go, I usually go with my cousin...sometimes with another friend of mine...and we always make friends with strangers. There hasn't been a night yet, where that didn't happen. Everyone cheers on everyone, which makes it more fun. Nobody is really annoyed when someone sings something horrible, which means you can experiment a bit and still get support.

My songs of choice, lately have been mostly 80s songs...some 90s...nothing recent. A typical playlist for me includes: Mr Jones by Counting Crows, Nothin But a Good Time by Poison, Pour Some Sugar on Me by Def Leppard, We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister, and a variety of others. Last week, I was invited up to sing Mr Robto by Styx, oh...and we will never sing Guns N Roses again...right David?

No comments: