Monday, May 31, 2010

Old Style Arcades

Does anyone remember the old style video game arcades that were around in the 1980s? OK, I know some of you remember them, but you'd be lucky to find one still operational today. Well this weekend, I was lucky and learned that there is one only 20 short minutes from my house. In Salem, MA (yes...the home of Halloween), there is a place called Salem Willows Amusement Park and it's a boardwalk style arcade that doesn't look like it has changed in twenty years. What a treat to walk in and see stand up arcade games, pinball machines, Skee Ball stations...everything in it's place with a few new games scattered withing. And there were ice cream, popcorn, pizza, and fried dough stands...all leading to a fishing pier.

Katharine and I had one of our very first dates at Jillian's in Boston when it was a full blown arcade and it has since closed down. I never thought Nathan would get to enjoy the arcade experience, but he did just that this weekend.

We'll definitely be going back here.



No comments: