Sunday, August 01, 2010

Best Buy Ads That Are Just Wrong - Week 2

OK, so last week I talked about the ads at Best Buy and the placement of shelf tags in front of movies with similar titles. This week, I was lucky enough to find two different prices for the same movie of the same format. And this week, it comes with a bonus.

So here is the offending advertisement. Clearly, the tag in front of the movie "The Crazies" on Bluray tells you that the movie is $14.99 on sale this week. And, hey look, there are plenty on the shelf here. Well done.



But pay close attention to the shelf across the way in the same aisle on the same day for the same movie in the same format.


Two dollars less here and there are NONE on this shelf. It's true. So here is the bonus. A Best Buy employee heard a conversation I was having with my friend Ethan about this, and witnessed me taking a photograph of the signs. Clearly misunderstanding the situation and thinking me a corporate Best Buy secret shopper (or something), she ran over to ask if there was a problem. When I pointed out the ad discrepancy, the Best Buy employee ran quickly to check the price and then apologized multiple times explaining that the price was indeed $12.99 and that she was running late changing the prices, but immediately removed the $14.99 price tag. If I DID work for Best Buy, she would have been credited with taking care of the situation. It's not her fault that the store had two signs for different prices on the same item. Best Best Buy employee ever. I felt a little bad, but if it improves quality control at Best Buy for even a day, I've done my job. We'll see.

No comments: