Thursday, June 08, 2006

Killer Bees! No Wait...Not Killer

If you're reading this particular entry...you might learn something. Do you see this perfectly round 1/2" drill hole in this picture?

You might be surprised to learn that this is not a drill hole, but a carpenter bee hole. I did not say and "A-Hole"...I said a BEE hole. I didn't even know that bees could make holes in wood or that they would want to.

The authority on everything, "Wikipedia", says that "Carpenter bees make nests by tunneling into wood, vibrating their bodies as they rasp their mandibles against the wood, each nest having a single entrance which may have many adjacent tunnels. Carpenter bees do not eat wood. They discard the bits of wood, or re-use particles to build partitions between cells."

Bay State Pest Control says that carpenter bees are a pain in the ass and that I should get rid of them before they destroy the wood on my shed. That would be the remains of a carpenter bee in the lower right corner of the picture. Apparently, I listened to them. You feel bad for him don't you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor little bee...... sniff....

Anonymous said...

Never feel sorry for insects. I'm about to call Bay State Pest Control myself! We have the carpenter ants and it's time for them to say bye-bye.
-Kristen