For the past two weeks I've been going to an acupuncturist to try and loosen up some tight muscles and it's been really interesting. If you've never had acupuncture before, they basically plug needles into various places on your body that correspond to other points in your body to relieve pressure or pain or tightness. In addition to this, they have been inserting needles directly into specific muscles and contracting them so they will eventually release themselves and not be as tight. There was even one spot that he said corresponded to my calf muscle which is regularly sore, and when he was done, the soreness was GONE. Pretty cool.

Yeah well, I'm not a doctor or an acupunturist myself so you'll have to accept my explaination as it is. So the last time I went, my doctor was teaching other doctors about acupuncture so my appointment ended up taking 2 hours instead of an hour. I guess I got my money's worth, but I also go too much information. As he slid one of the needles into my left hip area, he says "and this one I'm going to try and slip between the muscle and the bone"...what?...really?...did I need to know that? "and then watch what happens when I move the needle like this"...no really...I don't need to know what you're doing. The needle part of acupuncture doesn't bother me at all...I know the idea of needles bothers some people, but you can't really feel them once they're in. I've done acupuncture before and the needles were in my head to work on an inner ear problem. This is much easier than that until he contracts the muscle...almost jumped off the table that time. And then they leave you in the room to wonder if it's going to contract again. I just pulled out my iPhone and turned on the music and chilled out to that (and managed to take a picture with it too). The doctor thought I was multitasking...but no...working while under the influence of acupuncture is not necessary.
Phew.
1 comment:
Eep, I don't like seeing my hubby with needles stuck in him!
Post a Comment